b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:12:38 +0300

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM, K Randolph wrote:

> A recent BAR article about the EA Letters mentions that there seems to be a
> contradiction between the findings of archaeology and claims in the letters.
> Strangely, the only major city found in Canaan was Hazor, which was never
> mentioned in any of the letters. Ever heard of Judges 4? I, as well as
> others, find the synthesis proposed by BAR to be less than satisfactory.

Karl, I have other issues with your letter, but I must ask: Where did you get
that "A recent BAR article about the EA Letters mentions .... the only major
city found in Canaan was Hazor, which was never mentioned in any of the
letters"? Is that from BAR? If so, could you please provide a full citation
of
the relevant BAR article? If not, could you provide a citation of the
relevant
source that tells you this? (I never realized Hazor was not mentioned in the
EA letters, and I'm all for learning new things).

Yitzhak Sapir

P.S. Jim (Stinehart), while I appreciate your interest in the EA letters, I
would appreciate hearing Karl's take on this particular issue.