b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 02:17:50 +0300

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM, K Randolph wrote:

>> 3) Your “early” counter examples have been pointed out by some historians
>> actually to have dated from the early iron age, i.e. around 900 BC, rather
>> than the 1800 BC claimed by the majority of academic historians. So there
>> are questions about the validity of those counter examples.
>
> Huh?  What historians?

Are you referring to this?
http://www.specialtyinterests.net/zimrilim.html
http://www.specialtyinterests.net/hammurabi.html
http://www.specialtyinterests.net/mesopotamia.html

Are those the sources that you seriously consider as questioning the validity
of the counter examples?

As an aside, I note the following quotes:

"To Zimri Lim communicate the following: `Thus says your brother Hammurabi
[of Yamhad]: The king of Ugarit has written to me as follows: [...]"
I guess that makes Ugaritic all that more important for the study of the
Bible!

"Could Zimri Lim be Rezon when one lived in Mari and the other made Damascus
his headquarters? [...] The literary form of the Mari letters remind
us of the El
Amarna letters which were written just some 100 years later. "
Won't Jim have fun with this one?

"Zimri Lim of Mari, whom we believe to have been Solomon's Syrian foe Rezon
and who was probably also known as Tushratta, "

Yitzhak Sapir