b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 00:23:08 +0300

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 11:04 PM, K Randolph wrote:
> Yitzhak:
> For once your famed ability to find sources has failed. And for me, again
> the pitfalls of going from memory—I got it largely right, but slightly
> wrong. I said no mention, while the article says only a bit player, not
> major.

Karl, it is your personal interpretation that changing "Only two
letters from the
rulers of Hazor were found in the Amarna archive" to "Hazor, which was never
mentioned in any of the letters" is "largely right, but slightly
wrong." You have
a written source in front of you and yet you still changed its wording to
create
a fact ("Hazor is not mentioned in any of the [Amarna] letters") out of
nothing.
In this case we had the source in front of us so we could go ahead an correct
your misunderstanding of the source. But if this is how you treat an article
from less than half a year ago, what can we say about a lecturer you heard
years ago? What if you misunderstood a lecture years ago? How would we
be able to correct your misunderstanding? Will you still insist on facts that
are flat out wrong?

Yitzhak Sapir

P.S. The article ought to mention that Hazor, aside from two letters authored
by the kings of Hazor (EA 227, 228), is also mentioned in two letters from
Tyre
and Ashtarot (EA 148, 364).