b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: belaga AT math.u-strasbg.fr
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:35:36 +0200

You get it ...

Hebrew (and partially, Semitic languages) possess another complementary, closely related with the first one even if a priory fully independent "unique, fundamental, and 'primeval' feature not shared by other languages" and sure not available in artificial Assembler languages: typically, a change in a consonant transforms the root of the verb to a semantically related verb.

This is why the redundacy you mentiont is not so important. In other words, it looks like the set of verbs is a sort of a "living organism" -- but it will carry us too far from our moderators ... Anyway, modern Hebrew does not respect this feature of its honorable ancestor.

Dr. Edward G. Belaga
Institut de Recherche en Mathématique Avancée
Universite Louis Pasteur
7, rue René Descartes, 67084 Strasbourg Cedex, FRANCE
tel.: 333 90 24 02 35, FAX: 333 90 24 03 28 , cellular: 336 76 29 63 04
e-mail : edward.belaga AT math.u-strasbg.fr

Quoting James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>:

Hi,

that's an interesting thought. If it was bi-consonantal with 22
different characters we would be limited to 22*22=484 basic roots. But
with triconsonant we have a maximum possible range of 10,648. There is
a massive amount of redundancy in this figure, though, because usually
about 2,000 core roots account for about 70% of any particular language.

James Christian
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.