b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:32:30 +0100

Sure. I get the logic. You could also make an argument based on Adam's name. But these arguments are by no means conclusive. Although, these concepts do not translate well into all languages that is not to say that there could not have been an prior language where this play on words also worked. It works in English (man and woman) and all we have to do is translate Adam's name into English and we could make an argument for English being the 'mother' of all languages and the language that was spoken in Eden.

Also, even if we were to actually know what language Adam and Eve were speaking in the garden of Eden that would in no way make it the 'mother' of all languages as if other languages descended from it. The account of Babel does not describe a gradual process of linguistic evolution. It describes the very sudden and instantaneous confusion of everybody's language so that each were using a completely different set of words. There is not even an undertone that these languages are all etymologically related in some way.

James Christian