b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 21:16:18 -0700

On 17 May 2009 at 18:36, Gabe Eisenstein wrote:

> What replaced Jim's theory as the dominant topic of the list was a
> theory saying that Genesis was written by many of the characters who
> appear in it, beginning with Adam (or, excuse me, with God). I don't
> think I need to start listing the hundreds of tenuous assumptions
> involved in this hypothesis, but they must include a very young earth,
> an incredibly fast spread and differentiation of human populations and
> cultures, and Hebrew as the mother of all languages.
[snip]

I'm not sure how you got to the idea that this theory requires all of these
things, but it
doesn't. There's nothing implicit in what language the earliest records were
kept in, or even
what was the "mother of all languages." The age of the earth has nothing
whatsoever to do
with it. We're talking about a literary theory related to structure and
genre, nothing more.

Dave Washburn

Ibuprofen, Hebuprofen, Shebuprofen, Theybuprofen, wouldn't you like to be a
profen too?