b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 08:39:42 -0700

I like the nice mathematical beauty of the triliteral root theory, however,
when doing a survey of all roots while compiling my dictionary, I noticed
that several of the triliteral roots were in practice biliteral (two
letters) which were made into triliteral roots by the addition of a medial
waw or a doubling of the second letter. There are also a few quadraliteral
roots.
Within my dictionary, I have them listed according to triliteral roots
because of tradition.

As for the mix up of languages at the Tower of Babel, the story claims that
the people were mutually unable to understand each other’s languages from
the get go, not something that developed over time. Hence there is not the
expectation that we can find an etymological tree that can be traced back to
one language.

Karl W. Randolph.