b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:34:43 -0400

It is based on the assumption (I believe commonly accepted) that man spoke as soon as he could.

If you accept the bi-consonantal theory, then you need to explain what is being added to complete the root to tri-consonantal form. If this addition is meaningful, then it is a one-consonant root.

There is no denying that there are Hebrew words of a single-consonant root, to wit: AB, BA, EM, EL, AT, AX. AG, GA, DA, ZA, RA, BB, GG, DD, CC, NN, SS, LL, RR, XX.

Isaac Fried Boston University