b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Joseph Justiss <jljustiss AT msn.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:26:19 -0400

YA-LIN of Isaiah 1:21 is merely 'he-reside'. YA-$IR of Exodus 15:1 is merely 'he-sing'. You can farther read into it your heart's desire.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Apr 20, 2009, at 12:05 PM, Joseph Justiss wrote:

The Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21 is handled by most English translations and the major versions as some kind of past reference "Righteousness dwelt/used to dwell in her" with the Targum using a paraphrastic construction "was done in her" (a perfect form of "to be" with a Gt participle). Is it not possible to read the verse as a prediction about what will ultimately happen to the faithful city? I'm thinking something like "righteousness will dwell in her, but for now murders" given the theological vision of restoration in Isaiah as a whole? How do we know for sure this is a "habitual past" use of Yiqtol and not just a forward looking use?

Joseph Justiss

PhD Student

Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary