b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:07:52 +0300

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Rolf Furuli wrote:

> Dear Yitzhak,
>
> What is the definition of "a specific action" and "a general action".
> When you give your definition, please show in detail how the
> definition can be applied to the verbs in question.  I ask,  because
> I do not understand which difference you are referring to.

Perhaps you can explain your definitions? What makes the
actions specific and what makes the actions expressed
concrete, and what would be an example of a non specific
action or a non-concrete action? The prefix forms here are
parallel to suffix forms in 3:1, 3, 6. But in all cases the form
is consistent: a topic sentence, followed by a copula,
followed by more particular sentences. Also, the prefix
form YBNNW in 3:13 cannot be considered independently
of the Greek which reads here WBNYW.

Yitzhak Sapir

Yitzhak Sapir