b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:11:36 -0700

On 22 Apr 2009 at 13:37, George Athas wrote:

> Scuba diving, eh? Some of us have time to kill... ;)

Too much at times, but for the time being I'm not complaining :-D

> It´s the yiqtol that conveys habitual action in the past. For example,
> 1 Sam 2.19 uses a yiqtol, ????, to describe Hannah´s habit of making
> the boy Samuel a robe to wear, which she would take to him each year.
> To me, this action is realis. However, since we are not focusing on
> one particular instance of this action, our vIew of the ?ction is
> indefinite. Therefore, as far as habitual past action goes,
> ~indefiniteTM seems to fit?

OK, I see what you mean now. I take an approach rather similar to Galia
Hatav's, in that I
put most such uses into a kind of catch-all category "modal," which includes
not only your
"indefinite" but also future, subjunctival, etc. etc. etc. That's one place
where I differ from a
lot of grammarians: I look for unifying factors in usages, in an attempt to
find not just
descriptive, but explanatory adequacy. "Indefinite" seems like as good a
word as any for
this usage. How do you see this "indefinite" function relating to other
functions of the yiqtol?

Dave Washburn