b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:21:55 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

The two questions are however related, as it was the gemination that
prevented lenition in bgdkpt. If we assume that lenition is a post-exilic
phenomenon, then had the Hebrews prior to the exile used the Tiberian
notation, only geminate consonants would have been marked with dagesh. It
is interesting that native speakers often do not feel the need to mark
length in either vowels or consonants. When they do so, it is usually out
of concern for those who are not native speakers. The Finns are one obvious
exception to this.

Kevin Riley