b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax and creation in Gen 1:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Bowick <james AT bowick.com>
  • To: Stephen Shead <srshead+bh AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax and creation in Gen 1:1
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 22:37:36 -0500

The issue of pre-existent matter or ex nihilo creation is influenced
strongly by the reading of BR). In the Masoretic text it is pointed BARA, a
Qal 3ms perfect (he created), however it is also possible to point it BORE,
a Qal ms participle (creating). If BR) is read as a participle, then Gen
1:1 becomes a temporal clause, not a principle clause. It would be
translated "In the beginning, when God was creating..." Robert Holmstedt
presented a paper to the Canadian Society of Biblical Studies a couple of
years back that was published in Vetus Testamentum (58 2008, 56-67) which
argued on linguistic grounds that BR) is more likely a participle. Sadly, I
cannot remember the details of his argument, nor do I currently have access
to the article. I think though, that this may pose a good starting point
for a discussion along the lines Stephen suggests. Is anyone aware of
linguistic evidence on either side?

James Bowick
McMaster Divinity College

PS- this thread was [b-hebrew] B in Gen 1:1 (was Hebrew considerations)

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Stephen Shead
<srshead+bh AT gmail.com<srshead%2Bbh AT gmail.com>