b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Public Domain Hebrew Lexica

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Josh'" <jnfo AT grauman.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Public Domain Hebrew Lexica
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:06:42 -0500

Josh,
I use Online Bible (OLB) from www.onlinebible.net. It is free with some very
modestly priced optional addins. It comes with the OLB, NAS, and Strongs
Lexicons, and also LXX Greek to Hebrew and Hebrew to Greek mapping all free.
The KJV has 2 Strong #'s for each Hebrew verb, the additional # giving the
verb's morphology. BHSSTR (BHS Strongs) module is free and has the Strongs
#'s in the Hebrew. I purchased TWOT (Theological Wordbook of the OT) for it
for only $10. It is very convenient to have it built into OLB.

Most people now prefer esword over OLB because the user interface is nicer,
but I much prefer OLB because of the additional Strongs # and the BHSSTR
module.

I occasionally use Davar3 http://faithofgod.net/davar/ for searching for
parts of Hebrew words, and to see the vowels. It comes with more Hebrew
Lexicons, all free: Brown-Driver-Briggs (BDB), Hebrew Morphology Lexicon,
the OLB Lexicon, Websters Hebrew Lexicon, and Hebrew Strongs IPD.

Of these, BDB is probably considered the best one, but I don't care for it
much. I prefer the OLB lexicon and TWOT, which follow more the principle of
letting the Bible interpret the Bible.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit