b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:43:13 -0800 (PST)

       Yigal wrote:

      ..." For the record, I also think that there must have
been SOMETHING behind the story, and that the 13th century, i.e. the reign
of Raamses II, is the most likely time for it. I also realize that since
there is no hard evidence, my opinion is no more than that, and other
opinions, as long as they don't contradict what evidence there is, are also
legitimate."

    This approach to ancient narratives is indeed "Outline History".

    I only wish to add that while obviuously people will form their own views,
ignorance of evidence is not a good basis to form such a  view. Just one
 example: of course one may reject Kitchen's conclusions, but only if one
 refutes them, or ignores the vast amount of extra-biblical material on which
 they are founded.

   As I mentioned, one of my difficulties with the biblical narrative is the
 huge number of people involved. This does lead us directly to a legitimate
subject matter of this list: the meaning of   ")LP", "eleph" .

  Uri Hurwitz                                                 Great Neck, NY