b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:42:53 -0800

Uri:

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yigal has written:
>
> "So, while the match is not perfect, the most logical time for an
> Israelite
> conquest (or whatever historical process came to be described as the
> conquest) is around 1200, with the Exodus occuring around 1240 BCE. Of
> course, there IS no actual evidence of either..."
>
> This is why I wrote my response to Yigal.

> As for Egypt, no serious discussion of the subject can exclude
> the views of K. Kitchen and Hoffmeier.

Include them, in order to refute them. Otherwise exclude them.

> Uri Hurwitz
> Great Neck, NY

I started questioning the given Egyptian history when I first made a
linguistic analysis of the events leading up to the Exodus. I realized then
that the Exodus could not have taken place later than the end of the Hyksos
period. Recently I have been apprised that a similar situation existed with
the last few pharaohs prior to the Hyksos. That is with the assumption that
the books of Genesis and Exodus are accurate histories.

I am not alone in saying that the Egyptian history as promoted by the likes
of K. Kitchen is all messed up. Others with far more data are far more
radical than I. Mostly I just ignore Egyptian history as being irrelevant,
largely because it is untrustworthy.