b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "G. Zack" <atdgz AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:36:23 +0000

Further to your mention of Hoffmeier and, in partial challenge to Yigal's
somewhat categorical claim that there is no extra-biblical support to the
Exodus narrative, in a recent article in BAR Hoffmeier does argue for the
availability of such evidence, arguing against deniers such as Finkelstein
and others.

He points out to recent excavations in the Nile Delta and other Egyptian
sources and establishes, e.g. that Delta towns such as Pi'Atoum were not in
existence in later centuries and could not be the basis to late narrative
projected backwards.

If memory serves I believe that Hoffmeier shows that Ramssess existed as a
town only betweem 1275 and 1075 BC.

He uses other places mentioned in the narrative as well as practices of
Semetic slave-labour, the practice of mus brick making, harsh quotas and
straw deprivation etc. as, again, all pointing to mid 1200 bc as the likely
period.

Indeed, if accepted, the numbers would always remain an issue as well as the
biblical narrative that claims Exodus as the SOLE demographic source of the
emerging Israelite nation, as opposed to being only one component as much
evidence suggests, that managed, however, to imprint its lore as central in
the Israelites annals known as the Bible.

But away from such "historicity"-- there is, according to Hoffmeier,
archaeological and topographical evidence that supports the Exodus narrative
as a plausible account of some people's/clans'/families' departure from an
abusive sejourn in Egypt circa 1230...

Gad Za'k
Canada