b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] FW: Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: AMK Judaica <amkjudaica AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] FW: Meteg and Shva Na/Nah
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:43:17 -0500

hmm. my message went throught without any paragraph breaks so i'm sending it
again.

Karl,

"this is an example of how grmmarians love to wax long on minutiae, while in
the bigger picture of the language, this was added long after Biblical Hebrew
ceased to be spoken . . ."

a) for those of us interested in the accuracy of the masoretic text, even
little lines like the meteg are important. (i'm not looking to debate the
possibility or futility of determining "the" masoretic text, but rather
trying to convey why a little line is important to some people.)

b) fixing the masoretic text is a worthwhile task in its own right, but also
note that the bible features prominently in contemporary jewish liturgy and
hazzanim/ba'ale keri'ah (lectors) should (ideally) take the meteg into
account when reading.

c) rivka's orginal question about the meteg had to do with the question of
whether or not it has implications for the opening or closure of a syllable,
which i suspect has to do with her interest in the kamatz vowel. so it's not
solely about one little line, but rather another little line with a dot
underneath as well.

d) vocalization and cantillation markings in general were added to the text
long after biblical hebrew ceased to be a spoken language. so why single out
the meteg for disregard?

as an aside, your comment about the insignificance of the meteg reminds me
about a comment about the dagesh. gerson rosenzweig was an immigrant
humorist, poet and shoe salesman (he advertised his store in the hebrew press
under the name bet xalutz ha-na'al!) on new york's lower east side at the end
of the 19th c.at the end of his "shirim, meshalim u-mikhtamim" (ny, 1893) he
blamed the typsetter for any errors in the text and asked "the careful reader
to take misplaced degeshim and place them where they are missing, and if
there are not enough he should inform me and i will send him the missing
degeshim. if there are extras, he may keep them as a gift."

kol tuv,

ari kinsberg