b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] FW: Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: AMK Judaica <amkjudaica AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] FW: Meteg and Shva Na/Nah
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:38:58 -0500

Karl, a) for those of us interested in the accuracy of the masoretic text,
even little lines like the meteg are important. (i'm not looking to debate
the possibility or futility of determining "the" masoretic text, but rather
trying to convey why a little line is important to some people.) b) fixing
the masoretic text is a worthwhile task in its own right, but also note that
the bible features prominently in contemporary jewish liturgy and
hazzanim/ba'ale keri'ah (lectors) should (ideally) take the meteg into
account when reading. c) rivka's orginal question about the meteg had to do
with the question of whether or not it has implications for the opening or
closure of a syllable, which i suspect has to do with her interest in the
kamatz vowel. so it's not solely about one little line, but rather another
little line with a dot underneath as well. d) vocalization and cantillation
markings in general were added to the text long after biblical hebrew ceased
to be a spoken language. so why single out the meteg for disregard? as an
aside, your comment about the insignificance of the meteg reminds me about a
comment about the dagesh. gerson rosenzweig was an immigrant humorist, poet
and shoe salesman (he advertised his store in the hebrew press under the name
bet xalutz ha-na'al!) on new york's lower east side at the end of the 19th
c.at the end of his "shirim, meshalim u-mikhtamim" (ny, 1893) he blamed the
typsetter for any errors in the text and asked "the careful reader to take
misplaced degeshim and place them where they are missing, and if there are
not enough he should inform me and i will send him the missing degeshim. if
there are extras, he may keep them as a gift." kol tuv,ari kinsberg > Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:58:53 -0800> From: kwrandolph AT gmail.com> To:
b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah> >
For another view on this controversy:> > I´m a little amused at the amount of
electronic ink metaphorically spilled> in this discussion, of a symbol that
does not appear on my computer when I> read Tanakh. Please don´t take it
personally, as in this message I have no> intention to single out any
individual, rather this is an example of how> grmmarians love to wax long on
minutiae, while in the bigger picture of the> language, this was added long
after Biblical Hebrew ceased to be spoken and> is sometimes wrong.> > Carry
on, this is just a comment from the peanut gallery.> > Karl W. Randolph.>