b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:58:09 +0000

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:42 PM, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
>
> As I said, Breuer also notes a Masora Gdola comment on
> Ex 21:36. Perhaps this is what you meant by "vav zugin."

I have looked up now the whole list of 13, and it turns out that
there are really only 11 verses in the list. In all these verses,
the Leningrad does have darga. One of these is really rather
interesting -- 1 Kings 22:34 has a merkha on hpk while its
double 2 Chron 18:33 has a darga. The rule again is that if
there is no or a single syllable between the servant (either
merkha or darga) and the tabir, the servant is merkha. Here
there is a single syllable if the reading is "yad-" (hand) and
two syllables if the reading is "yade-" (pair of hands). This
fits exactly with the kativ. That is, the cantillation used
appears to assume the reading implied by the kativ rather
than the qari. It seems like there was a variant reading
tradition which did read "yade-" in 2 Chron.

The 13 verses are: Gen 18:18 hyw yhyh, Ex 21:35 ygp $wr
)y$, Lev 7:33 lw thyh, Deut 14:10 )$r )yn-lw, Josh 8:9, 8:12
byn byt-)l, Hos 10:14 wq)m $)wn b(mk, (th yr( lnw 2 Sam
20:6, Hos 10:14 k$d &lmn, 2 Chron 18:33 w)y$ m$k bq$t,
1 Kings 22:34 hpk ydk, 2 Chron 30:3 ky l) yklw l(&wt,
Qoh 9:10 tmc) ydk.

Of these, the first Hosea is really a title for the second Hosea
listing, and the 1 Kings is a false split which really refers
and continues 2 Chron 18:33. If these two are removed, the
list is even in order of the Biblical books, according to the
Masoretic tradition.

After reviewing the list, I'm more interested in the full comment
of the vav zugin.

Yitzhak Sapir