b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] FW: Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: AMK Judaica <amkjudaica AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] FW: Meteg and Shva Na/Nah
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:04:06 -0500

david,

1) the breuer bible editions don't distinguish between sheva na/nach. i
assume by chumash you are referring to his tikkun, but are you sure that he
himself was responsible for inserting the na/nach markings here? my
impression is that this he didn't do this himself

2) i'm not clear from your response to rivka. do you think that every meteg
before a sheva, according to the massorets, is na? if so how do you account
for the hundreds (thousands?) of examples where it is impossible for the
meteg to indicate na (e.g., before a guttoral letter).

3) r. breuer listed 10 different classes of metagim; some metagim were
definately before sheva nach. (and iirc ditto yeivin)

kol tuv,
ari kinsberg
blog: http://agmk.blogspot.com> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:13:23 -0800> From:
davidhamuel AT sbcglobal.net> To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org> Subject: Re:
[b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah> > > There seems to be a controversy over
the use of a meteg in Masoretic> manuscripts. I know this is a complicated
topic and not all about it is> clear and agreed by all. My specific question
is related to a meteg under a> letter that is followed by a letter that has a
Shva. What is the prevailing> view - that the Masoretes intended to use this
meteg to indicate that the> following Shva is a Shva Na OR that that
Masoretes did not intend to> indicate anything about the following Shva (even
though in most cases this> happens to be a Shva Na)? Or are there other
views?> > > I'm very interested in hearing about sources (medieval
grammarians, modern> grammarians) that address this question. > > Many
thanks!> Rivka Sherman-Gold> > > ===============> > > Yes, indeed this is a
complicated topic. > > > he Masoretes intended to use this meteg to indicate
that the following Shva is a Shva Na > > Yes (or probably :) ) For example,
meteg + vav--shuruk; Leviticus 25:34 ( the sheva was nach, with the meteg --
na). Genesis 21:6 (the last word with the makef) -- here you have more
complicated issue: nasog ahor. > > > > sources (medieval grammarians, modern
grammarians) that address this question.> > Selected sources:> > 1. Dikduke
ha-Te'amim -- Dotan editon, part b.> 2. Heidenheim -- Mishpete ha-Te'amim> 3.
Levita -- Tuv Ta'am> 4. Norzi -- Ma'amar ha-Ma'arich> 5. Balmes -- Mikneh
Avraham.> > > For example: [vay-,yo:m-'ru:] -- more accurately pronounced
[vay-,yo-om-'ru-u]. > > Now we read it with sheva na. See the chumash by
Rabbi Prof. Breuer. > > > > Best,> > David Hamuel> Type Designer > Biblical
Hebrew, Grammar & Cantillation Expert> > Los Angeles, CA — USA> > > > > >