b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:49:16 +0000

Dear All,

An interesting issue regarding the darga/merkha exchange before tabir, is
provided from Sefer Hateamim, which is quoted in one article I have on the
very rule, Paris 1565 p. EIV. As an example of darga it gives "asher
tomru" Gen 34:11, with darga under "sher", and tabir under "ru" meaning
that "tom" is two syllables at least (ie, [to:-maru:]). However, a look at a
good edition of the Bible, including the Leningrad Codex --
http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml#Gen34:11-34:11 -- shows a merkha
under "sher", indicating the pronunciation with one syllable - [to:m-ru:].
The quote I have is from Abba Bendavid, "Minayin haHaluqa Letnuot
Gdolot veqtanot," Leshonenu 22 (1957-8), p. 118 (the full article spans
p. 7-35, 110-136). It should be noted, however, that the edition used is
a translation from a summary, along with interpolations from the original
Horayat Haqore, and may not represent the original's reading on this
verse.

Yitzhak Sapir