b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] FW: Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: AMK Judaica <amkjudaica AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] FW: Meteg and Shva Na/Nah
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:54:49 -0500

rivkah, i'm pretty sure radak addresses sheva and meteg in his mikhlol (and
chomsky has some extra notes on this in his edition?).another place to check
is rasag (use dotan's edition). regarding pronounciation of va-yomeru, there
is a debate over the nature of a sheva following a long vowel (forgetting
about the meteg issue). our rule that following a long vowel it is na is
apparently a kimhinan innovation (jeremy knows about this). from what i
remember, rasag does have a *general* rule for sheva following long vowel.
kol tuv,ari kinsberg> From: yodan AT yodanco.com> To: yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com;
b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:05:06 -0800> Subject:
Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah> > Thanks, Yitzhak. > > > > Do you know
if what you wrote was also the view of medieval Sephardi> grammarians like
Radak and others? > > > > The reason I'm asking is that Tanakh editions that
use different symbols for> Shva Na and NaH (like Tanakh Simanim) specifically
use a Shva Na (mobile)> symbol for the Shva in the example you quoted (e.g.
Genesis 11:3), whereas> you say (if I understand correctly) that this Shva is
NaH (quiescent). > > > > Thanks, > > > > Rivka> > > >