b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] (no subject)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] (no subject)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:52:15 +0100

On 10/08/2007 19:36, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:
Dear Jerry, et al,

I changed my settings in Outlook Express by going to Tools, Options. This will
bring the entire Option file up. Choose the Read tab, and then click on the
International Setting, Click on UTF-8 Unicode, then check the Default. This
allows the system to receive all messages in UTF-8 Unicode. Click OK, then go
Font. Font Settings choose Unicode. On the Proportional Font use Arial Unicode
MS. Encoding should be UTF-8. Default encoding: should be Unicode.

Finally, under the Send tab, Click on International Settings and choose UTF-8
Unicode. Check the Right to Left box if you want to (I don't unless needed).
Under the Compose tab, after choosing the type of font you want (I use 9 pt.
Arial Unicode MS) for Mail/News settings. That should help with the reading of
the list both of Hebrew and Greek fonts.

You don't need Arial Unicode MS for non-accented Hebrew, and it is a horrible font in many other ways. Pointed but non-accented Hebrew is legibly displayed with any of the Microsoft core fonts e.g. Arial (regular version), Times New Roman, in the versions distributed with Windows XP. Tahoma supports polytonic (classical) Greek as well as Hebrew. For fully legible fully pointed Hebrew you should download SBL Hebrew or Ezra SIL.

But the real requirement is for language settings to support Hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org