b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Beginners unpointed text reading course

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Beginners unpointed text reading course
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:20:46 +0100

Hi Karl (and anybody else interested in contributing),

This is one of those things I've wanted to do for a
long time but never really got round to doing anything
about it. My basic ideas are as follows:

Licensing:

I'm not a complete expert on licensing or on which
license would best suit our needs but my basic feelings
are that whatever license we choose it should preserve
the following principles:

i) Make the course available to all with an interest
in learning hebrew
ii) Make it impossible to make a profit on our work
with the exception of where there is a guarantee that
any profit returned will only be invested in furthering
the cause (e.g. printing and distributing bibles,
improving the course etc.)

Are your feelings similar? Anything you would like to
add?

Methodology:

The courses aim should be to bring the student to be
able to read and understand as much authentic (non-
doctored) hebrew text as possible in as short a time
as possible. The course should therefore be semantically
oriented and not grammar oriented. My feelings are that
if we use the most popular occuring n-grams as shown in
my frequency tables
(http://www.lamie.org/hebrew/frequency.php) that a
student can quickly arrive at a point where substantial
amounts of authentic text are readable without the
drudgery of traditional grammar bashings.

My experience as a CELTA qualified english teacher has
shown me that students get a better grasp of grammar
when they learn it through it experience rather than
being presented with it with no stimulus to learn it.
A student exposed to enough examples of third person
singular verbs can notice the similarities in prefixes
and suffixes and eventually work out the identifying
morphemes for themselves. This is the natural way of
learning grammar and linguistic research shows that
this is the best way for learning to be permanent
rather than your classic 'oh dear I've got a hebrew
exam tomorrow I'd best learn this conjugation quickly
so I can pass the exam tomorrow and forget it by the
day after tomorrow'.

Any thoughts?

James Christian Read
BSc Computer Science (thesis: concept driven machine translation using the
Aleppo codex)
http://www.lamie.org/hebrew