b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] New or Renewed in Jeremiah 31:31?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yohanan bin-Dawidh" <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Gary Hedrick" <garyh AT cjfm.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] New or Renewed in Jeremiah 31:31?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:36:18 -0500

Dear Isaac,

You wrote, "I am just curious, but why do you write 'BIN' with an 'I'? Do
you come from a tradition where SEGOL and TSEREH are pronounced as a XIRIK,
or is it just in honor of YEHOSHUA BIN NUN? Then, why do you write 'dawidh'
(as in "Shlomo bin-Dawidh", apparently SHLOMO BEN DAVID) with a final 'h'?"

To be quite honest with you, I have never thought about the questions you
ask above. The only one that I have thought of, which you do not ask is why
I use "waw" verses "vav", because people have questioned me on this my whole
life.

I am not from a tradition where Segol and Tsereh are pronounced as a Hiriq,
but rather I have always written Hiriq, and pronounced Hiriq in the word
"bin". I know that in the Miq'ra such is not always the case with names,
actually it is rather rare, but it is the way that I have been
transliterating my name, and even writing my name in Hebrew for as long as I
can remember.

As to writing a dhaleth as "dh", this too is how I have always done, and I
have never thought about the reason why. And, yes, Shlomo bin-Dawidh is
"Shlomo ben David".

Yohanan bin-Dawidh