b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • To: hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 01:08:33 -0400

Shalom, Harold:

Torah means revelation or instruction or teaching or schoolmaster. "Law" is
inadequate as a definition. In an expanded sense, all of Scripture is Torah
beyond just the first five books of Moses. Torah encompasses the Mosaic Law,
too. As you noted that Avraham obeyed Y- - H's instruction, then you see that
emunah is something one does and not merely makes mental assent to as
Constantinians are wont to believe and teach. Righteousness (or tsedakah) is
something one does as Hashem does tsedakah to the good and the wicked (i.e.,
tsedakh is imitating Hashem in doing for others as Hashem does for us and
others). The Hebrews, Israelites, and Jews were not free to limit themselves
to reflection of Torah but they had to do Torah or live Torah. Living Torah
always was and remains the idea.

We know the one language (Beresheis 2:19) was Hebrew because Adam's very
name derives from Hebrew (adamah); the 2 names he gave to Eve (Chava comes
from chai/life) were Hebrew and only makes sense in Hebrew. He also called
her isha (woman) because she was taken from the ish (man). (See Beresheis
2:23, 3:20 and Midrash Beresheis Rabbah 38).

While I agree we all have eternity written on our hearts, I specifically
refer to the fact that after Adam dropped the ball that it was not until Mt.
Sinai that a nation agreed to do Torah before knowing what living Torah
entailed. Avraham lived Torah because the very aleph bet he spoke declare
Hashem; Torah is within them.

I'm trying my best to explain in as non-theological a fashion as I can
muster so you will excuse me if I don't always manage it as well as I try to.

Regards,
David Fenton