b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:58:53 -0700

Dear Peter:

On 3/22/07, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org> wrote:

Well, it should be clear to you why I am not concerned about
embarrassing Rolf. But it is a dodge. I don't expect him to answer every
point, but several times I have identified fundamental flaws in his
arguments and he responds by ignoring me. Am I expected to back down and
allow other list members to be led astray by his non sequiturs?

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org

Several times when dealing with people on this list with whom I
disagree, I make my point, show what I think is a flaw in the other's
position, and if he does not answer them, just ignore him. Or if you
think it is important enough, say to the effect that if this point is
not answered, that you will ignore and not answer further
communication on the subject. I have done that on this list. I figure
I have made my point and that further argumentation is not worth it,
even if the other party wants to continue arguing. There are times I
would rather take the risk that some people mistake my position, which
I have already stated, than continue an argument.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.