b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Arthur Gershman <gershman18 AT msn.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:48:52 +0000

On 30/03/2007 21:05, Arthur Gershman wrote:
Dear Capt. Kirk,
According to Godwin's Law you lose the argument and the thread is over.
Best regards,
Art Gershman
Ben Zoma said: Who is wise? Those who learn from all people. Pirkei Avot 4:1

What on earth is Godwin's law? According to the law of natural justice I win, not least because I presented arguments which apparently destroyed my opponent's position and he refused to attempt to answer my arguments.

Well, I have found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law, which also states that "any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's Law will be unsuccessful", so by invoking Godwin's law yourself you lose. Actually it was not myself but Ben who first introduced the Nazis into this thread, as I deliberately avoided attributing "a lie repeated often enough becomes the truth" to a Nazi so that its impact would not be blunted.

Please stop calling me Capt. Kirk. The only title I accept is Mr, but "Peter" is quite sufficient.

And please correct the clock on your computer.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org