b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:08:00 +0000

On 23/03/2007 20:10, Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com wrote:
In a message dated 3/23/2007 4:23:24 AM Central Standard Time, peter AT qaya.org writes:

> Several times when dealing with people on this list with whom I
> disagree, I make my point, show what I think is a flaw in the other's
> position, and if he does not answer them, just ignore him. ...

If there is no further answer, I ignore the person. If the person
repeats a logical or factual error, perhaps in a rather different form,
I repeat my objection. I don't want the other person to win the argument
by mere repetition. Who was it who said that a lie repeated often enough
becomes the truth?

Capt. Kirk,

Is this the way the college debate team argued their points of view, by just ignoring the opposing team? ...

Indeed not, that's why I am not ignoring others. They can try to ignore me, I don't care.

... Maybe the other person has a valid argument, just because he differs from you doesn't make him wrong, does it?

I have clearly demonstrated repeatedly the serious flaws in the other person's argument.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org