b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:08:16 +0000

On 3/24/07, K Randolph wrote:
Dear Moderators:

Recently, in response to the request that this forum be made more
scholarly friendly, the proposal was made that:

> ... to be hospitable as such (to scholars), b-hebrew must become a
> moderated list, and its character must also change.

No such proposal was made. A statement was made to that effect.
Beside the "I believe" that you cut out from before the above sentence,
you also cut out the "This is not necessarily what should be done and
I am not saying this is what should be done. As I said, there is an
alternative for scholars" that immediately follows the above sentence.
So it was not a proposal that this be done. Please read more carefully.

I would hate to see this forum restricted to only one school of
scholarship where its members can preach to the choir, and all others
silenced.

It is true that would such moderation take place some members
of this list might be silenced or will choose not to post here. However,
you must remember that right now, we are experiencing the silence
of those others who choose not to post in it now. It's a give and take.

Yitzhak Sapir