b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] House of My War

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tory Thorpe <torythrp AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] House of My War
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:14:58 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List:

B. Alfrink in "Die Schlacht bei Megiddo und der Tod Josias,"
Biblica (1934) translated the hapax eiremenon B."YT MIL:KAM:T.IY
in II Chron. 35:21 as Kriegsstadt, Garnisonsstadt, and Festungsstadt,
all with the idea of a permanent military camp in Syria. I'm curious whether
the Hebrew phrase might actually correspond to Egyptian nomenclature.
The main Egyptian garrison town in Syria would have been Carchemish
at this period. Is anyone aware of recent or old literature discussing
terminology in Egyptian texts describing Egyptian encampments?
The new translation of the Jewish Publication Society opted for what
I consider a less than satisfactory rendering of the Hebrew text at
II Chron. 35:21.

Tory Thorpe