b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NPL/$PL (was: The radical letter L as marker of elevation)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NPL/$PL (was: The radical letter L as marker of elevation)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:54:54 +0200

Dear Unrelated Frieds,

Liz,

The Nephilim first appear in Gen. 1:4, where they are contrasted (I think) with "bene Ha'elohim". So I think that the Nephilim are earthy "mighty ones". But who knows?

You seem to think that $PL is some sort of shaph'el of NPL. Interesting.

Isaac,

I'll continue to refrain from commenting on your very unorthodox theory of the Hebrew language, but despite what you were taught as a child, there IS no "shephelat haxoph" in Eretz Yisrael. The Shephelah is the low hilly area that separates the coastal plain from the central hill country ("hahar"). Josh. 15:33-44 makes this very clear. There is also a "Shephelah of Israel" (Josh. 11:16), perhaps the foothills of the western Galilee, but this is uncertain. The coastal plain is "mishor haxoph".

Yigal Levin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>