b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 55

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 55
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:10:30 -0800

Hi all - I am just having a go at Isaiah 55 as a change from the Psalms

Is there anyone out there who would critique my raw translation of Psalm
107? See http://bmd.gx.ca/psalms/337.htm It is not so much that I want it
to be 'right' but I would appreciate warnings where it is just plain wrong -
in between is just fine. (if you want to avoid embarrassing me on list feel
free to use my email bobmacdonald at shaw.ca)

Now for Isaiah 55 - when I read the usual translations I get some strange
subtexts from the English. Seek ye the Lord while he may be found! As if
the LORD were going away or something. Perhaps in the archaic English
'while' is a positive move, whereas for us in the 21st century, 'while' is a
threat.

I read this differently - please explain why I am wrong (in this case).

DIRShU Y' BHIMATs)O
QRA)uHU BIHiOthO QAROb
Yà`aZob RAShA` DàRkO
V)iSh )AVEn màXShbothAYV
ViAShob )EL YY ViRàXamèHU
V)EL )eLoHèYnU ki YàRBEH LISLOXà

My word for word translation is

Seek the LORD to find him
Call him to become to him near
Will repair the wicked his way
And a man of sorrow his thoughts
And he will return to the LORD and he will love him
And to our God for he becomes great to pardon

Now if I were going to straighten out the English - maybe something like
this

Seek the LORD and find Him
Call Him and become near
Even the wicked will repair his way
The man of sorrow, his own thoughts
And he will return to the LORD in love
And to our God, great in pardon.

(still very roughly speaking - morphing into a hymn eventually) What do you
think?

Thanks

Bob

Bob MacDonald