b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The radical letter L as marker of elevation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The radical letter L as marker of elevation
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:28:59 -0500

Dear Isaac,
(Are you related to my husband?)

They're called Fallen Ones, because they fell from Heaven (I assume).
The root still means to fall in the kal, in the hiphil it is to drop, to
cause something to fall.
The fallen ones happened to be giants.
The Shephelah, the foothills of the Judean highlands, are the lowlands,
literally, from the same root as npl.
Liz Fried