b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 2:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 2:3
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:31:03 +0000

On 1/13/07, Yigal Levin wrote:
Dear all,

Can anyone explain the word הַצְּפִינוֹ֒ "hacepino" - why is there a dagesh
in the sade and not in the pe?

Whereas I would like to explain it by comparison with other otherwise
unexplained dagesh fortes (as in xami$$im), it appears that the Hiphil
had always no vowel after the first verbal stem letter. This can be
supported from examples such as EA 256 xi-ix-be-e (=hixbe "hid") as
well as verbal stems with the letter n (ngd, nb+, ndx, npl). Even in a
case of an absolute suffixed form, the n drops in Jer 27:15. There is
no evidence then that there ever was a vowel after the first stem
letter as would be required if the dagesh forte ever appeared with the
schewa. In contrast, such a situation would require that the p would
have a dagesh, like we do not have here. While all this could still be
explained as a development of Hebrew, Uri's explanation of a simple
error in transmission makes more sense.

Yitzhak Sapir