b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Richard Steiner on Sin and Shin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Richard Steiner on Sin and Shin
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:10:41 +1100 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

Karl seems to want this discussion confined to pre-Exilic evidence. The
Amarna letters are the only evidence I know of - and Ugaritic if the longer
alphabet includes shin and sin, as I believe it does. As Karl excludes both
because they are *not Hebrew*, we are left with no acceptable evidence.
Without some discovery of a manuscript/inscription that is pre-Exilic and
includes a distinction of sin and shin, or a translation of names into a
language that clearly differentiates /s/ and /S/, it is unlikely there will
be evidence. Otherwise it remains a matter of one person asserting that
there was no distinction and another asserting there was. That seems like a
waste of time, IMO.

Kevin Riley