b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalms - some questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalms - some questions
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:06:31 -0800

Karl:

Thanks for the responses

Re 'once' in psalm 89:35 (36), I had a good response from Pere Porta off
list explaining the possible translations - "Yes, theoretically this word
could be the first person singular imperfect Qal and/or Hiph'il of XTH,
snatch up. The same thing, for instance, as (wa)a'al (Deu 10:3) is the 1st.
person singular imperfect Qal of 'alah (Jos 8:20) --- I will go up; and
(wa)a'al (Num 23:4) is the 1st. person singular imperfect Hiph'il of the
same verb --- I will cause to go up."

I am happy with 'once' - it has a once for all sense to it.

Re subject of the sentences in Psalm 7 - my Hebrew teacher, a leader of the
synagogue here, did not deny that the subject is ambiguous; and other
translations I have read by Hebrew speakers agree that the Hebrew of these
verses is uncertain.

I hope by context, you do not mean that you must read assumptions into the
text. That is what I think the KJV has done.

Re the difficulty in accusation in the turning point in Psalm 89:38, I
finished a first draft of this using the words 'you have been unfaithful' -
not as stark as the raw meaning of this word, but an adequate accusation
against the LORD - no punches pulled finally. Note how this section balances
verses 10 and 11. Israel, the anointed, has become the enemy. It is possible
to read Psalm 7 this way also - that the anointed falls into the trap which
the enemy has laid - and pays vicariously for the sin of the enemy.

As to mistakes - too true - but there is no 'right' answer.

Bob

Bob MacDonald
Victoria BC
http://gx.ca