b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fwd: Genesis 2:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fwd: Genesis 2:19
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:47:31 -0500

In my opinion, speculation about two different dieties or two traditions
are incongruent with the Bible as a whole. As a text, it might be more
practical to see Genesis 2:19 as a prolepsis which we see again in Genesis
2:2-3 even though Sabbath was not sanctified until centuries later (Exo.
20:8; Deut. 5:15). Chronicles is well-known for this. Apologetics Press
(http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/20) offers this:

After reading the first two chapters of the Bible, some skeptics, in an
attempt to disprove the Bible’s inerrancy, have accused the writer of Genesis
of erring in regard to the record of events occurring on day six of creation.
While Genesis 1:24-27 plainly indicates that man was created after the
animals, critics claim that Genesis 2:18-19 teaches that man was created
before animals. Skeptics assert that such language by the author of Genesis
proves that the Bible is not divinely inspired. Some Bible students resolve
this alleged contradiction by explaining that the Hebrew verb translated
“formed” could have been translated “had formed.” In his Exposition of
Genesis, H.C. Leupold wrote: Without any emphasis on the sequence of acts,
the account here records the making of the various creatures and the bringing
of them to man. That in reality they had been made prior to the creation of
man is so entirely apparent from chapter one as not to require explanation.
But the reminder that God had “molded” them makes obvious His power to bring
them to man and so is quite appropriately mentioned here. It would not, in
our estimation, be wrong to translate yatsar as a pluperfect in this
instance: “He had molded.” The insistence of the critics upon a plain past is
partly the result of the attempt to make chapters one and two clash at as
many points as possible (1942, p. 130, emp. added). Hebrew scholar Victor
Hamilton agreed with Leupold’s assessment of Genesis 2:19, as he also
recognized that “it is possible to translate formed as ‘had formed’ ” (1990,
p. 176). Keil and Delitzsch stated in the first volume of their Old Testament
commentary that “our modern style for expressing the same thought [which the
Holy Spirit via Moses intended to communicate—EL] would be simply this: ‘God
brought to Adam the beasts which He had formed’ ” (1996, emp. added). Adding
even more credence to this interpretation is the fact that the New
International Version renders the verb in verse 19, not as simple past tense,
but rather as a pluperfect: “Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground
all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air” (emp. added).
Although Genesis chapters 1 and 2 agree even when yatsar is translated simply
“formed,” it is important to note that the four Hebrew scholars mentioned
above, and the translators of the NIV, all believe that it could (or should)
be rendered “had formed.” And, as Leupold acknowledged, those who deny this
possibility do so (at least partly) because of their insistence on making the
two chapters disagree. The main reason that skeptics do not see harmony in
the events recorded in the first two chapters of the Bible (especially
regarding the order of God’s creation—whether vegetation, birds, land
animals, man, etc.) is because they fail to realize the fact that Genesis 1
and 2 serve different purposes. Chapter one (including 2:1-4) focuses on the
order of the creation events; chapter two (actually 2:5-25) simply provides
more detailed information about some of the events mentioned in chapter one.
Chapter two never was meant to be a regurgitation of chapter one, but instead
serves its own unique purpose—to develop in detail the more important
features of the creation account, especially the creation of man and his
surroundings. As Kenneth Kitchen noted in his book, Ancient Orient and Old
Testament: Genesis 1 mentions the creation of man as the last of a series,
and without any details, whereas in Genesis 2 man is the center of interest
and more specific details are given about him and his setting. Failure to
recognize the complementary nature of the subject-distinction between a
skeleton outline of all creation on the one hand, and the concentration in
detail on man and his immediate environment on the other, borders on
obscurantism (1966, p. 117).
Norman Geisler and Thomas Howe summarized some of the differences in Genesis
1-2 in the following chart (1992, p. 35).

Genesis 1 Genesis 2
Chronological order Topical order
Outline Details
Creating animals Naming animals
The fact is, Genesis 2 does not present a creation account at all but
presupposes the completion of God’s work of creation as set forth in chapter
1.... Chapter 2 is built on the foundation of chapter 1 and represents no
different tradition than the first chapter or discrepant account of the order
of creation (Archer, 1982, pp. 68-69). In short, Genesis chapters 1 and 2
are harmonious in every way. What may seem as a contradiction at first glance
is essentially a more detailed account. The text of Genesis 2:19 says nothing
about the relative origins of man and beast in terms of chronology, but
merely suggests that the animals were formed before being brought to man in
order to be named. If one still rejects both the possibility of yatsar being
translated “had formed,” and the explanation of the two chapters being worded
differently because of the purposes they serve, a final response to the
skeptic’s allegations is that the text never says that there were no animals
created on the sixth day of creation after Adam. Although in my judgment it
is very unlikely that God created a special group of animals to be named by
Adam (after creating all others before the creation of man—Genesis 1:20-27),
some commentators do hold this view. After his comments concerning the
translation of yatsar, Victor Hamilton indicated that the creatures mentioned
in 2:19 refer “to the creation of a special group of animals brought before
Adam for naming” (1990, p. 176, emp. added). Hamilton believes that most all
the animals on the Earth were created before Adam; however, those mentioned
in 2:19 were created on day six after Adam, for the purpose of being named.
In U. Cassuto’s comments on Genesis 2 regarding the time Adam named the
animals, he stated: “Of all the species of beasts and flying creatures that
had been created and had spread over the face of the earth and the firmament
of the heavens, the Lord God now formed particular specimens for the purpose
of presenting them all before man in the midst of the Garden” (1961, p. 129,
emp. added). Both of these long-time Bible students recognize that the text
never says there were no animals created after Adam, but that all animals
were created either on day five or day six (before and possibly even after
Adam’s creation). However unorthodox (or unlikely) this particular position
might be, it does serve as another reason why skeptics have no foundation
upon which to stand when they assert that a contradiction exists between
Genesis 1:24-27 and 2:19.