b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalms - some questions - Psalm 89:39

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalms - some questions - Psalm 89:39
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:27:44 -0800

Bob:

If you don't have the grammar and vocabulary correct, then your
structural analysis may be way off. Literary structure is built on top
of correct grammar and vocabulary.

As for HT(BRT, I mentioned that it could be either a verb or noun. As
a noun, it will not be found in any dictionary or concordance, as no
one else recognizes it as a noun. As a verb, even there all the other
uses are of God reaching the end of his rope with individuals or
people because of their not following his commands, then saying that
"This is it ..." Thus even the verb use at least implies that the
fault lay with a disobedient people, not in God's unfaithfulness.

However, as I noted, this use of the verb is grammatically suspect,
but having the term understood as a noun fits grammatically and
ideationally within its context.

Karl W. Randolph.