b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:15 and 2:17 is garden feminine?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:15 and 2:17 is garden feminine?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:42:52 +0000

On 13/11/2006 22:21, Peter Kirk wrote:
On 13/11/2006 16:09, Steve Miller wrote:
Additionally, the garden did not die in the day Adam ate off the tree of
knowledge. Gen 3:22-24

Nor did Adam die. Well, we know that from the text, that he lived another 930 years(!), which is of course the basic problem with the "you shall surely die" interpretation, whereas your argument about the garden is in fact from silence. So, while I would not argue for the garden dying interpretation, this argument is of no help.

I should clarify what I wrote here. Steve was apparently using "in the day" in the sense of a period of 24 hours, so I was also implicitly doing the same: nor did Adam die in the day (24 hours) that he ate. Of course, as Karl reminded us, the Hebrew expression here does not mean "in the day" in this restricted sense, but more generally "at the time". And this is how I would explain the apparent contradiction. But this argument can be applied just as well to the garden as to Adam: if there is no contradiction in Adam dying "in the day", there is also no contradiction in the garden dying "in the day", unless of course someone can prove that the garden is alive eternally.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org