b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] We and us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] We and us
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:54:15 -0500

Mah nishmah, Yigal,

I was just about to send off a note to you pointing to Revell's work when I saw David's post.

Revell explains the choice between ani and anoki pragmatically. ani for "immediate" situations where social distance and formality are either uncalled for or abandoned, and anoki to express "distance," that is, when a speaker takes care to express formality, restraint, timelessness.

I think the explanation works, but then again, I am sort of partial toward "pragmatics." I think Vince DeCaen has researched an alternative, semantically driven explanation in Samuel-Kings, but I don't know if he ever published.

Shalom,
Bryan

Yigal Levin wrote:
Dear All,

Does anyone think that there is a semantic or any other difference is use or meaning between "anu" and "anaxnu"? Or, for that matter, between "ani" and "anokhi"? Are they used in different genres, are they preferred by different literary sources?

What do y'all think?

Yigal Levin

--
B. M. Rocine