b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:15 and 2:17 is garden feminine?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:15 and 2:17 is garden feminine?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:21:26 +0000

On 13/11/2006 16:09, Steve Miller wrote:
Additionally, the garden did not die in the day Adam ate off the tree of
knowledge. Gen 3:22-24

Nor did Adam die. Well, we know that from the text, that he lived another 930 years(!), which is of course the basic problem with the "you shall surely die" interpretation, whereas your argument about the garden is in fact from silence. So, while I would not argue for the garden dying interpretation, this argument is of no help.

A better argument against the garden dying interpretation is from 3:2,3, in which the plural form TEMUTUN cannot refer to the singular garden and also clearly refers back to 2:17.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org