b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Anahnu - Anu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Anahnu - Anu
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:35:34 -0800 (PST)

The changes from literary Arabic to the colloquial language are
in many ways equal to the changes from proto-Semitic to BH.
Now, in classical Arab. the term for 'we' is NAH(.)NU, compared,
for instance, to the spoken Palestinian or Egyptian EH(.)NA .
In the colloquial the first Nun drops out, exactly as in the case
of Anu in relation to Anahnu.

It appears that in Heb. there is rather a diachronic development.
In fact, Mandelkern lists only one occurrence of Anu in the HB,
in Jer. 42:6 (actually with defective vowelling and the Qeri is: Anahnu!
).
I assume that the Mishnaic literatue and what followed is full with
the shorter form.

On the other hand there are of course many occurrences of Anokhi
as well of Ani in BH; as I mentioned they seem to be a fusion of
usages in different dialects and languages.

Uri

Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and
get things done faster.