b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] origin of evil

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] origin of evil
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 23:55:36 -0400

Hi Robert, et., al.
I think that if you define evil so that whatever it is, God is incapable of
doing it, then the discussion seems vacuous, or at least odd. According to
the OT, God is capable of doing evil. This is where I would think that the
assumptions of Jews and Christians will differ. I think that Christian
thought derives from neo-Platonism and not from reading the Hebrew Bible.
The Christians who write TWOT reveal their theology in their definition.
According to Platonic thought, a god, to be god, is completely good,
omniscient, omnipresent, and incorporeal. That is not the god that is
described in the Hebrew Bible. The god described in the Hebrew Bible is not
omniscient, not omnipresent, not incorporeal, and is not completely good.
To read a Greek god into the Hebrew Bible takes a lot of doing. It means not
translating words according to their plain meaning and it means reading a
lot of things as metaphor and allegory. One example is Exod.20:5. Plato
despises the Olympian gods for their human frailties, and among these
frailties he discusses in particular is the emotion of jealousy. A perfect
god is not jealous. So now, accordingly, qn' (qana')is translated as
"zealous" when the subject is God (e.g. Exod 20:5)and as "jealous" when a
human is the subject (e.g., Gen. 26:14). Yet, I would maintain that it is
YHWH's very jealousy that has maintained the Jews over 3000 years of
persecutions, nothing else. Jews do not worship other gods, for that simple
reason, that YHWH is a jealous god. Nevertheless, Christians tend to
translate the term as "zealous" in Exod. 20:5 because jealousy is seen as a
negative emotion. It seems to me that the god that Christians see in the OT
tends to be a Platonic idealization of YHWH, which is fine, but it is
different from the god that Jews see when they read the Hebrew Bible.
Best,
Liz Fried

Also
> does not God's holiness mean he is removed from corruption and badness?
>
> The words directed to Cyrus in Isaiah 45 indicate that the incomparable
God is
> behind Cyrus victory at Babylon. That victory comes as an expression of
God's
> judgement. I think the words in verse 7 emphasize the extent of God's
ability. Whilst
> your translation uses "evil" I notice that some prefer "calamity" in this
context. I
> wonder if the choice of translators reflects the word Ra' may be
contrasted with or
> in juxtaposition with. So that tob - ra' is 'good - evil' and shalom - ra'
is 'peace -
> calamity'. Just a thought.
>
> By the way, within Christendom there are differing views as to this
question of - Did
> God create evil? Also, there are differing views about Satan, real person
or evil
> inclination within? So these issues are not ones that clearly divide all
Jews and all