b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com" <Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:01:53 -0700

kwrandolph AT gmail.com writes:

> As for the authorship of the last 14 chapters of Genesis, this was
> about the time that the ancient literary formula was dropping out of
> style, to be replaced by the modern one where the author and title are
> at the front of the document. At least this is the historical pattern
> that I was told.

I see a lot of references to this ancient literary formula. I fully
respect the belief that it existed but could someone please point out
some documents that display this pattern. When and where was it used
and what scholarly reseach has been published about it? If it is found
in ANE literature what logic was used to tie it to these people and
events since it is far from clear when, by whom or where the original
story was written if we assume documents that predate Moshe.
Surely this formula must be tied to a language, timeframe and
geographic region and not merely "that's what all the ancients did." I
think if we can identify these parameters it might be much more
helpful to members of the list in deciding if they want to accept the
theory.

Joel Stucki