b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:19:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/2006 3:30:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
kwrandolph AT gmail.com writes:

> James:
>
> There are more questions here than meets the eye.
>
> For example, what does it mean "to call upon the name of YHWH"? Is
> this an indication that at this time people were starting to worship
> other gods,

Look who we have living: Adam and Eve, who walked and talked with God, but
now have rebelled. Abel is dead, Cain has gone out and left the presence of
God
to become a wanderer upon the earth. Seth, a third son, has turned to God in
prayer. Do you think this little family has made false gods?

> As for the section from 2:5 to 5:2, the literary formula indicates
> that it was written by Adam himself. The next section was written by
> Noah, where he ends his section without a list of descendants
> following it because it went directly to the section written by his
> sons.

Karl, I mentioned this last year on this forum and was stoned. There are at
least twelve such colophans indicating at least twelve authors. Genesis 5
is
the first indicating Seth as the second writer. Each "This is the book of
the generations of " is an indication of a different writer.

> As for the authorship of the last 14 chapters of Genesis, this was
> about the time that the ancient literary formula was dropping out of
> style, to be replaced by the modern one where the author and title are
> at the front of the document. At least this is the historical pattern
> that I was told.
>
> We need to be careful not to eisegete into this section.

Why do we need to be careful not to eisegete the last 14 Chapters of Genesis?

Doug.

Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas