b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:30:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2006 3:08:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
kwrandolph AT gmail.com writes:

> Is this still that small a family? After all, we are talking 235 years
> after the fall into sin. How many other sons of Adam and Eve had been
> born, only not listed because their descendants all perished in the
> Flood? The daughters were not listed other than the generic notice in
> 5:4. By this time several generations of Qain's family were listed,
> thus the implication is that there were several hundreds, if not
> thousands, by that time. After all, who were the other people that
> Qain was afraid of when he murdered his brother?

Karl,

Actually, Karl, according to Genesis 5:3 we're talking about 130 years from
the creation of Adam to Seth, not 235 years. Still a small family.
Applying
modern standards of measurement which says population doubles every ten years
that would mean by the time Seth was born the earth's population was 8,192.
It's hard to imagine that they increased any faster, since all the burden was
on Adam and Eve to be fruitful: Cain was in the land of wandering having
babies, Abel was dead, and Seth was a newborn. It is Seth that began to pray
(call
on the name of the Lord). Cain's descentants became murders: the first
record
of a serial killer was recorded in Cain's seventh generation.

Doug.
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas