b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:31:48 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/2006 3:36:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
kwrandolph AT gmail.com writes:

> I am looking at 4:26, which indicates that people started calling on
> the name of the Lord after the birth of Enosh, son of Seth. That's
> where I get my 235 years. The verse does not say the name was
> previously unknown, nor why people started calling on YHWH. The text
> probably gives more questions than answers.
>
> Similarly, the text does not tell how many people were living at that
> time, nor how old Qain and Abel were at the time of the murder, nor
> answer a bunch of other questions that we have. Abel could have been
> well over 100 years old when murdered, the text does not say.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Karl,

I know the Scripture doesn't tell us how many people there were. I explained
how I arrived at the number: by modern standards the population doubles every
ten years, so by using this stardard method, 235 years the population would
have been approx. 8,388.608 people living on the earth. I only offer these
numbers for a point of interest, and not to prove any point or make an
argument.
I think these numbers are a fairly safe assumptions and they have proven
themselves over the years. I am sorry, Karl, I don't even recall what we
were
discussing.

I started a project in 1958 to build a chronology of the OT. I have worked
on this project off and on ever since and finding somethings here and there
peaks my interest.

Adam wasn't well over a 100 years when he fathered Kain, he was only 130 when
he fathered Seth. You can make educated guesses as to their age from these
scriptures and be within a hundred years, that's acceptable. Another
standard
of measurement is a generation: 30 to 70 years = a biblical generation; 40 to
100 years = a modern generation. Notice Seth is the fourth generation of
Adam
born when Adam was 130 years old.

Doug
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.