b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] noun sentence vs. qatal of HYH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] noun sentence vs. qatal of HYH
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:26:44 -0500

Dear Bryan,

I own all the "major published translations of the Bible" (to quote Harold) and found it unsatisfying. That's why I have spent some considerable time and expense trying to learn Hebrew.

So without recourse to English translations, can anyone tell me the difference between the meaning or function of a noun sentence and a sentence using qatal of HYH when either appears in narration?

Example: Is there any difference when a narrator says

a. veha'arets tohu vabohu

and

b. veha'arets hayetah tohu vabohu

?????

I am assuming there should be a difference.

HH: I don't know that there has to be a difference. In Greek, too, there can be verbless sentences or EIMI can be used. I have never noticed a real difference. There are different ways of saying things in English, such as using contraction or not with verbs. These different ways don't have to imply a difference in meaning but could reflect the writer's style, his mood, his flow of thought, the tone he wants to create, the rhythm, or even his space on a line of writing material.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard